IOC Announces Four Candidate Cities to Host 2016 Olympic Games: Madrid, Tokyo, Chicago, Rio de Janeiro
"Madrid and Tokyo would seem to be the cities to beat in the race for the 2016 Olympics following the release of the short list determined Wednesday by the IOC Executive Board meeting in Athens. Cut from the field of seven cities were Baku, Doha and Prague. The EB decided on the short list after receiving a report on the seven cities prepared by a panel of IOC experts. The cities were scored by the experts on a 10-point scale across 11 categories. Based on the maximum score received in each category, Madrid and Tokyo ranked consistently higher than the rest of the field and tied in some categories.
In the category of government support, legal issues and public opinion, Madrid scored 9, followed by 8.8 for Rio de Janeiro, 8.5 for Tokyo and 7.9 for Chicago. For general infrastructure, Madrid and Tokyo tied with 8.9, followed by Chicago at 7.4 and Rio de Janeiro with 7.2. Sports venues scores put Madrid at the top with 8.8, followed by 8.7 for Tokyo. Rio de Janeiro scored 7.4 and Chicago 7.2. Tokyo took top spot for its Olympic Village – 8.9 -- with Madrid next at 8.7, Chicago following with 8.6 and Rio de Janeiro trailing with 7.7. In environmental conditions and impact, Madrid and Tokyo tie at 8.8, Chicago scored 8 and Rio de Janeiro 7.6.
Tokyo claims the only 10 in the report, for accommodations. Chicago is second with 9.8 and Madrid follows with 8.8. Rio de Janeiro scored 6.4. Under transportation concept, Madrid scored best with a 9.0, Tokyo an 8.5, Chicago 7.8 and Rio de Janeiro at 7.5. Tokyo wins 9 points for safety and security, with Chicago second at 8.2. Madrid is at 7.9 and Rio de Janeiro receives a 7. Madrid and Tokyo tie at 8.5 in the finance category, Chicago scores 8 and Rio de Janeiro a 7.7. In the category of overall project and legacy, Madrid and Tokyo score 9, while Chicago and Rio de Janeiro tied for second with 8."
Photos courtesy of AP Photos/Getty Images and Agencies
Original Source: Around The Rings
- "Mother Earth not for sale": indigenous peoples protest Amazon destruction, Greenpeace calls for Arctic Sanctuary at Rio +20
- Lifestyle photos: kids jumping high in nature vs. manmade city Tokyo w/ population 12,369,000 (density 5655/sq km)
- How energy efficient is your city? New report ranks 34 largest US cities... a healthier environment and growing economy
- Olympics open with full variety of athletes; flag bearers relishing moment, athletes celebrate, ready for the big Games
- Earth polluted: aerial photo. Brazil: oil spill; new law'll cost Amazon forest loss size of Germany, Italy and Austria combined
Browse other gifts from Zazzle.