Mar 11 '09 photo, Brazilian Amazon: woman holding naked child while being pushed away from her home by riot police
An woman holds her naked child while trying to resist the advance of Amazonas state policemen who were expelling the woman and some 200 other members of the Landless Movement from a privately-owned tract of land on the outskirts of Manaus, in the heart of the Brazilian Amazon March 11, 2008. The landless peasants tried in vain to resist the eviction with bows and arrows against police using tear gas and trained dogs.
Winner in General News Singles category, 2008 World Press Photo of the Year.
Photos courtesy of Reuters/Luiz Vasconcelos-A Critica/AE (BRAZIL)
Original Source: Reuters
- Oxygen grows on green trees - UN: Int'l Year of Forests 2011; Oxygen comes fr blue seas - dedicate another yr, 2012, to Oceans?
- May 2, 2008 spectacular photo: eruption of Chaiten volcano in Chile which had been dormant for thousands of years
- Financial crisis deprives livelihood. Poverty sparks fury. Iceland, France, Russia, Greece..protests across Europe
- "Privacy is sanctuary for each free soul to exist as an individual; diminished, man would be the naked emperor mocked by..."
- 50 Jokes for 50 US States (part i): Alabaman headlines, Alaska nights, catching rabbits in California, and more...
Browse other gifts from Zazzle.