Nature & wildlife photos: puffin touchdown, panda examines bday cake, polar bear cub peeks out from mother's arms
(above) Norway - Bright beaks and feet signal the breeding season for Atlantic puffins on Hornoya Island. The birds’ colors dull for winter. Puffins in summer and winter coloration look so different they were once thought different species.
(left) Among cities, San Diego may be the most animal-centric. Animals at the zoo and SeaWorld have names, constituencies and birthday parties. So when Zhen Zhen, a giant panda at the San Diego Zoo, turned 1 year old on Sunday, she celebrated with a jumbo-sized birthday cake: a honey-glazed exterior, stuffed inside with fruit, vegetables and bamboo. Sister Su Lin turned three a few days earlier, with a similar fest. For pandaphiles, Zhen Zhen is now 45 pounds and is approaching the day of independence from her mother, Bai Yun. Su Lin is about two years away from potential motherhood.
Photos courtesy of Jan Vermeer, Foto Nature, San Diego Zoological Society, ppalmward/wallpaperbase.com, and First People
- Zoo Atlanta celebrates arrival of baby panda, 2nd cub of mother Lun Lun and only panda born in US in 2008 so far
- "Just the two of us": loving panda mom Shin Shin takes good care of her new baby, first panda cub born in Japan in 24 years
- "To Health of Earth" top 3 most popular (SOS Amazon, panda, solar system) reads, since '08, on Earth Day Eve'13: 1,146,689
- Polar Bear Declared Endangered Species
- Panda-monium at the Cannes Film Festival: Jack Black, Angelina Jolie and Dustin Hoffman in Kung Fu Panda
Browse other gifts from Zazzle.