Of 679 whales killed in 2008-09 hunt in Antarctica, 304 were female. 4 lactating & 192 pregnant at time of death
MADEIRA, Portugal - Data provided by the Japanese government has revealed a large number of pregnant and lactating female whales killed. The data was made public at the International Whaling Commission meeting Monday, June 22, 2009.
Of 679 whales reported to have been killed during the 2008-2009 whale hunt in Antarctica, 304 were female. Four of the female whales were lactating, and 192 were pregnant at the time of death. The Japanese government's "Cruise Report" gives gruesome details on the fetuses killed. The four lactating females killed would each have had a dependent calf who would inevitably have starved to death.
"Humane Society International strongly condemns this hunt, which takes place in a whale sanctuary under the guise of science," said Kitty Block, HSI vice president. "Killing pregnant and lactating females makes it all the more egregious."
Photos courtesy of theage.com.au and AFP
Original Source: The Humane Society
- Ocean crying for Justice: victims of slaughter. Mother & calf are killed so is Whale defender Ady Gil (Earthrace)
- War: defend or kill endangered ocean life? Who stands between 750-ton whale-killing machine w/ military-class LRADs & its prey?
- Blue Roses to Earthrace Ady Gil: 100% biofuel, spirit of ocean, stands for life, saves crew, sunk by whaler, rests in sea..
- Incredible video story: magnificent ocean giant cooperates during and shows appreciation after rescue...Pls sign to save a whale
- Who commits Trespass, Piracy (robbery at sea)? Whaler or Bethune? Whale Sanctuary, 304 females killed: 192 pregnant, 4 lactating
Browse other gifts from Zazzle.